Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Writing Contest: Are You a Writer?

Technically, this post has nothing to do with my reading lately - it's about my writing. I'm entering in the writing contest (http://positivewriter.com/writing-contest-you-are-a-writer/) by Positive Writer.

I didn't always know that I was a writer, and honestly, sometimes I still don't know. I think the first time that I had the realization that I was meant to write was my sophomore year in highschool. I chose to take an advanced composition/creative writing class as one of my electives, and it was the best decision I've ever made. Before this point, I had only fiddled around writing song lyrics and poems, so this class was a whole new experience. I learned how to write plays and short stories and such. This class was the only place where I could really be my "nerdy" self and no one would pass judgment on me. I often received praise from my teacher and from my mother for what I had written, but my lack of self-esteem never let me take their positive feedback seriously.

Now that I'm in college, I'm supposed to decide how to spend the rest of my life. Unfortunately, this is quite a daunting task. I played around with the idea of becoming an editor or publisher, but I was never completely sold. One day I came across a video narrated by Alan Watts. He raised the question, "What would you do if money weren't an issue?" I didn't have to think twice. I knew I wanted to be writer, but at the time I didn't think there was a future in it. I now realize that it doesn't matter how successful I am at being a writer because if I spent my life doing anything else then I would be miserable.

I am not a published author, I don't have any literary prospects, and I don't always have the motivation to write. I may or may not end up be a successful writer. I do not know where my literary skills will take me, but one thing I do know - I am a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment